Online players can rejoice: European roulette is readily available at Internet casinos, providing a popular alternative to the high house edge games of American roulette most commonly found in land based casinos. This article explains why European roulette is more player-favourable, along with how to play and the European roulette games available to play for real money online.
European roulette online casino sites
Top RTG casino
Raging Bull Casino
350% deposit bonus + 50 free spins
Visit Raging Bull Raging Bull Casino Review
European roulette: Why it’s better than American rules
At first glance, European and American roulette seem almost identical, as they both use the same rules and the same betting table with a red and black roulette wheel numbered 1-36. The major difference lies in the fact the European roulette wheel comes with a single zero, which may seem like a very slight difference, but actually makes a large impact on the house edge compared to the double zero used in American roulette. The removal of the second zero brings the house edge in European roulette down to 2.7%, a big improvement on the 5.26% house edge of American roulette, making the European version much more favourable to players.
Euro roulette betting layout and wagers
To play European roulette, you simply need to choose the amount of your wager and then move your chip to the desired place on the betting table. Once bets are placed, the ball spins around the roulette wheel until eventually landing on a single number. If you managed to predict where the ball would land, you win. There are multiple bets you can place in Euro roulette:
- Six line – a bet on six numbers that form two horizontal lines on the betting table
- Trio – a bet on three numbers including a zero
- Corner – a bet on four numbers that meet in the corner on the betting table
- Street –a bet on three numbers appearing in a horizontal line
- Split – a bet on two numbers appearing adjacent on the betting table
- Straight –a bet on a single number
- Red or black – a bet on a red or black number
- Odds or evens – a bet on an odd or even number
- Low or high – a bet on between 1 and 18, or 19 and 36
- Dozens – a bet on a number within one of the dozens sections on the betting table
- Columns – a bet on a number within a chosen vertical column of 12 numbers
Online European roulette games
Our recommended online casinos offer a wide selection of roulette variants, including European roulette, French roulette and American roulette, with a selection of games optimised for mobile play. These are the different versions of European roulette you can expect to find at our recommended casinos, with games provided by leading software developers:
- Microgaming: European Roulette, European Roulette Gold Series, Premiere Roulette, Multi-Wheel Roulette.
- NetEnt: European Roulette, Roulette Advanced, Roulette Advanced High Limit.
- BetSoft: Zoom Roulette
- Play’n Go: European Roulette
All of these games are available for instant-play directly over your web browser, with no software downloads required. You can trial these single-zero roulette games for free in demo mode before deciding whether to risk a real money wager.
Mobile European roulette games
As roulette is one of the most popular table games offered online, mobile casinos almost always offer at least one European roulette variant. Microgaming powered mobile casinos tend to offer a classic version of European Roulette, along with the premium European Roulette Gold, while NetEnt’s European Roulette Touch and VIP Roulette Touch is commonly available at multi-provider mobile casinos.
Mobile roulette games are available in browser-based mode, so you can play on your smartphone or tablet regardless of whether it runs on the iOS or Android network. Just flip your device horizontally to get the full view of the roulette betting table, then tap the touch screen to place your bets and spin the wheel.
Live dealer European roulette games
Live dealer roulette provides the ideal choice for players who want to enjoy the convenience of playing online, while maintaining the atmosphere of playing in a land based casino. Live dealer games are hosted by real dealers, and streamed to your computer or mobile device in real time using high-def video. Given the popularity of European roulette, there are plenty of live dealer European roulette games available at our recommended casinos, including:
- NetEnt Live Roulette
- NetEnt VIP Live Roulette
- NetEnt Live Roulette Selection
- Evolution Gaming Auto Roulette Live VIP
- Evolution Gaming Auto Live Roulette
- Evolution Gaming Live European Roulette
- Evolution Gaming Immersive Roulette
- Extreme Gaming Live Ra Roulette
- Extreme Gaming Auto Roulette Low Limit
- Ezugi Live Roulette
- Ezugi Live Automatic Roulette
- Microgaming Live Roulette
- Microgaming Live Immersive Roulette
- Microgaming Playboy Bunny Live Roulette
Unlike RNG roulette games which can be sampled wager-free in practice mode, real money roulette games require real money bets in order to play. Take advantage of the welcome bonuses offered at our recommended casinos to get more for your money, allowing you to sample live dealer roulette with less risk to your wallet.
Single-zero roulette house edge and payouts
As mentioned above, the house edge in single-zero roulette is brought down to a nice 2.7%, which is pretty decent for a game based purely on luck. This means for every $1 bet you place on a European roulette game, you stand to get back about 97 cents in the long run. The payouts in European roulette vary depending on the type of bet, with inside bets being the most lucrative. The payout for each winning bet is as follows:
- Odds and evens – pays 1:1
- Red and black – pays 1:1
- Lows and highs (1-18 and 19-36) – pays 1:1
- Dozens – pays 2:1
- Columns – pays 2:1
- Six line – pays 5:1
- Corner – pays 8:1
- Street – pays 11:1
- Trio – pays 11:1
- Split – pays 17:1
- Straight – pays 35:1