Finding the best Australian online casino sites to play at in 2020 can be challenging, but rest assured the team at AustralianCasinoSite.com is here to guide you through the process. The best online casinos have changed significantly since a law update in Australia in 2017, which effectively banned offshore casinos from offering their services down under. With many top online casinos choosing to abide by these rules and withdrawing their services to Australians, it has limited the choice of casinos that are willing to accept your business. Here are our top 3 online casino sites for Australians in 2020:
[rm_casino_table def=default view=casino-new-bp country=user title=”Aus Casino Sites” max_rows=3 ]
Best Australian online casinos 2020
- Kahuna Casino: The newest casino that we promote on ACS, Kahuna Casino is a sister-site to Mucho Vegas and has quickly developed a strong reputation in the industry. Has a great live dealer section and 100s of real money pokies, making it our top option for Australian casino players for [rm-month], [rm-year]. Kahuna Casino also has some of top bonus offers in the gambling industry. (Read our Kahuna Casino review)
- Emu Casino: One of the leading choices for Australian casino players, Emu Casino has been around for many years. Boasts games from many software providers still serving the Australia market, including Betsoft and RealTime Gaming. Also has one of the better live casinos available to casino players in Australia. (Read our Emu review)
- Casino-Mate: One of the most well-known casinos still targeting Australians, Casino-Mate has been around for years, but has changed significantly since its early days when it was only powered by Microgaming. These days Casino-Mate draws its games from AU friendly options like Betsoft and RealTime Gaming. (Read our Casino-Mate review)
- WildCardCity: One of the newer online casinos targeting Australian players, Wild Card City has a good reputation and is run by experienced industry veterans. This casino features 100s of real money pokies and table games. Deposit options include Visa and Mastercard, ecoPayz and bitcoin. WildCardCity also has a really nice welcome package for new players. (Read our WildCardCity review)
- Raging Bull: Powered by RealTime Gaming, Raging Bull Casino has been around for years. Accepts players from the likes of the USA and Australia and has a good reputation amongst players for fast cash outs and customer service. The fact you can choose from three different sign up bonus offers is also a positive. (Read our Raging Bull review)
- Mucho Vegas: Mucho Vegas is truly one of the better online casinos still servicing Australians, with the live casino the definite highlight. Powered by Evolution Gaming, the live casino at Mucho Vegas features plenty of tables, with limits to suit both high and low budget players. There is also a strong selection of online pokies from various providers like Betsoft. (Read our Mucho Vegas review)
- Gunsbet: Another casino with an outstanding live section, powered by multiple companies, Gunsbet.com is a new casino that accepts Aussies. A massive positive with Gunsbet is they accept different types of cryptocurrencies, plus your regular methods of deposit. If you are a slots player you will find plenty to keep you occupied at Gunsbet Casino. (Read our Gunsbet review)
How we select our top online casinos
Australians love to gamble more than any other nation, and Aussies have more options than ever when it comes to gambling. We can gamble in casinos, in pubs, at news agencies, TABs, on our computers, smart TVs, smartphones, tablets and various 3D-based technologies. But just how safe are the online casino options? AustralianCasinoSite.com aims to cut through the deceptive world of online casinos and provide you with a clear reference to use as your gambling bible. We are Australians catering for our countrymen, and only recommend casinos which are run in the same way. AustralianCasinoSite.com employs a strict policy on the online casinos we promote, with only the best online casinos for Australians making it onto this page. Here are some of the key criteria:
- Our top online casinos for Aussies must be regulated
- The best Australian casinos will feature common AUD deposit options
- Customer service is a must at offshore casinos
- Online pokies range must be generous
- Withdrawals must be fast and not capped at a small limit
Features of Australian online casino sites
While they may not be as flash as they were a few years ago, Australian casino sites still boast many great features, including huge game selections and sign up bonuses. Here are some cool things to look out for at online casinos in Australia:
- Live casino games are a true highlight, with many of the leading companies still letting casinos serve Aussies their games. Check out Evolution Gaming casinos if you are looking to play live table games
- Pokies selection is much higher on the web and as a general rule online casinos will have 100s of slots titles for you to choose from. Read our online pokies section for further information.
- Casino sign up bonus offers are also a great incentive for Aussies to play online – basically they let you double or increase your balance by a set percentage up to a certain amount. Read our best casino bonus offers guide for Australia
- Casino sportsbooks are also a common feature of online gambling companies, with many offshore companies allowing Australians to play casino games and bet on sports
[rm_casino_table def=default view=casino-new-bp country=user title=”Online casinos accepting Australian players”]
Safe online casinos for Australians
Following the introduction of the Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill in September 2017, it is more critical than ever to do your research before playing at any online casino. The new laws saw many of the world’s leading casino sites retract from the Australian market, leaving Aussie punters with much fewer choices when it comes to choosing a safe, licensed and reputable online casino.
Before playing online, you should look for things like: Is the casino licensed? Is it regulated by a trustworthy gambling jurisdiction? Is the casino audited by an independent body like eCOGRA (eCommerce and online Gaming Regulation Authority)? Does the operator have a customer support centre? Does the casino offer games from leading software providers? And most importantly, does the online casino cater for Australian customers?
There is nothing more frustrating than signing up at a casino only to find it does not display your account balance in the AUD currency, rather it’s in EUR or USD. Each casino we recommend has the Aussie dollar available as a deposit option, and all will display your account balance accordingly.
Bodies like eCOGRA play an important role in casinos gaining the trust of the consumer. They test things like a casino’s random number generator technology, and handle things like any disputes which may arise between customer and operator. The casinos we endorse are also known for having strong customer support centres with quick response times.
Online casino games
Back in the day, online casino gaming was solely dominated by the Microgaming platform, but this is now old news as hundreds of software developers now serving the iGaming market. There are new companies springing up all the time and throwing down the challenge to the more established big players. Several of the most impressive ones including BetSoft, Net Entertainment, NYX Gaming, Playtech, Pragmatic Play and live dealer providers like Ezugi and Evolution Gaming. Growing competition between software providers is beneficial for players, who reap the rewards of improving graphics, better bonus features, emerging trends and exciting game themes.
Online pokies reign supreme at online casinos, with titles available in the hundreds, offering every kind of theme and format imaginable. Whether you are looking for the classic three-reel fruities or modern five-reel All-Ways pokies games, online casinos offer a comprehensive selection of slots. Online pokies are vibrant, engaging, packed with bonus features and use themes as varied as popular movies, bands and TV shows, to sci-fi, Ancient Rome, and fantasy.
Online table games and number games
A full selection of table games are available at all of our casinos, including blackjack, roulette, baccarat, video poker and many different variations of table poker and other casino classics such as Casino War, sic bo, craps and red dog. You’ll also find lots of niche games and number games, including keno, bingo, lotto and scratchies.
Mobile casino sites
Each of the leading online casinos offer fully-fledged mobile websites with a huge selections of games, which are accessed in an instant-play format (via your mobile browser with no downloads required). It’s as simple as signing up at your chosen casino and visiting their mobile website. A few of our favourites are Emu Casino, Mucho Vegas and SlotsMillion.
There’s no need to download anything from your devices app store – simply load games directly over your mobile web browser. This makes mobile casino games much more accessible with all data-enabled smartphones and tablets, regardless of the operating platform or mobile model you are using (iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Windows Phone and so on).
Games you’ll find at a mobile casino generally include pokies, video poker, table games like roulette, blackjack, baccarat and poker, and the selection is increasing all the time as 4G and more WiFi connections open up different avenues such as live dealer.
AUD casino deposit options
Australians have been hampered in their efforts to deposit money to online casinos following the update to laws, however there are still a handful of payment methods that are still commonly found at AU casino sites:
Our non-Australian readers, including New Zealanders, will find plenty more deposit methods at online casinos, with common international payment methods in the casino industry including:
CASINO BANKING TIP: If you’re new to a casino, don’t be afraid to make a small deposit and withdrawal before you make larger deposits – this is a good way to make sure the casino is legitimate. The Australian casino sites we recommend all use a minimum of 128-bit Secure Socket Layer digital encryption technology, which is the same security major banks use for their online security. For more information, read our guide to online casino deposit options.
Online gambling laws in Australia
While it is illegal for an online casino operator (both local and foreign operators) to offer gambling services such as casino games and poker to Australian residents, as outlined in the Interactive Gambling Act (IGA) of 2001, it is remains legal for Aussies to gamble at online casinos without the chance of punishment. The laws are aimed at the casino operators themselves, who are prohibited from offering their services to Australian residents unless they hold a license to do so. There are plenty of offshore casino sites that continue to accept Australian players (which they do so at their own risk).
So while no Australian-licensed online casinos exist today, as their gaming services would not be allowed to be shared with Australian players (they risk fines upward of $1.1 million per day), regulated and licensed offshore casinos do offer their services to Australian citizens, even though they are technically in violation of the IGA. However, no serious attempt has ever been made by the Australian government to thwart such operators from offering their real money services to keen Aussie residents (largely because such companies remain outside of the Australian government’s jurisdiction).
This may change following the introduction of the Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill in September 2017, which clarifies some of the pre-existing grey areas surrounding Australia’s online gambling laws. Introduction of this bill saw many of the leading online casino sites pull out of the Australian market, leaving Aussies with much fewer options when it comes to choosing a safe, legitimate casino site to play at.
Reputable online casinos that continue to welcome Australian players include:
[rm_casino_table def=default view=casino-new-bp country=user title=”Online casinos accepting Australian players”]
Countries like the United Kingdom, Malta, Curacao, Gibraltar and Isle of Man are some of the more respected places which issue licences for online casinos, and uphold strong regulations for online gambling operators to adhere to. Some US states are also starting to issue online casino licenses for players located within their jurisdictions – a move we hope to see replicated by Australia in the near future.
Online casinos for international readers
If you are one of our readers visiting us from any other country not specified, so long as your local online gambling laws permit online casinos, all of our recommendations are applicable to you – make sure to read our linked reviews to find out which casinos support your currency and accept players from your country.
In addition to the online casinos recommended for our Australian players, our New Zealand and international readers also have the following options:
- Royal Vegas (Read our Royal Vegas review)
- Slots Million (Read our Slots Million review)
- Thrills (Read our Thrills review)
Online lotto betting sites
In addition to online casinos, AustralianCasinoSite does full reviews of popular online lotto betting sites, which have catapulted into popularity in the past few years, offering players exciting new ways to play the biggest online lotteries around the world and win life-changing jackpots.
AustralianCasinoSite.com is here to help you
Betting at online casinos can be confusing for newcomers, but we strive to make the process of finding one, depositing money and enjoying the experience a safe process. We cover the latest news and happenings in the casino world and arm you with all the information you need to walk away a winner. If for any reason you wish to contact us, drop a line in the comments box. We hope you enjoy browsing this site and our content.
Looking for a safe online casino site that accepts players from your country? Head to [rm_geo_top_casino], our top-rated casino site for players from [rm_geo_user_country], which has some excellent welcome bonuses available for new players along with hundreds of real money casino games to choose from, with no downloads required.
Online casinos for New Zealanders
Online gambling remains perfectly legal in New Zealand, with our Kiwi neighbours able to access all the casino sites recommended across our network, plus many others that Australian players are not privileged to. If you are reading this from NZ, the information provided at AustralianCasinoSite.com regarding security, deposits, games, payouts, etc, applies the same to you.